Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Get comfortable being uncomfortable!

I work 16 hour shifts, every Monday and Tuesday! 6am till 10pm. How exactly am I supposed to get any kind of workout? Well I've decided to dedicate these days to yoga. Jillian Michaels to be precise. And my heart races! I enjoy quick paced yoga, constant moving keeps me warm and doesn't let my brain start taking over saying how much I'm shaking.


Ooo I learned a new breathing technique from my Triathlon book! And the first time I did it I felt tingling in my fingers from the hyper oxygenation! I'm really working on improving my breathing technique during cardio. I don't inhale deeply enough or through my nose. So word for word... here's my new breathing technique


"1. Sit erect and place your hands lightly over your stomach. Close your eyes and clear your mind. I've done this laying down too



2. Breathe in through your nose, pushing the lower part of your lungs downward and outward (called diaphragmatic breathing) You should feel your stomach move outward (Yes, aim for a Buddha belly!!) The full inhalation should take 3 to 5 seconds. Visualize the fresh, healing oxygen swirling into your bloodstream and to every corner of your body I literally try to feel it in my fingertips


3. When you feel as though you've fully inhaled, breathe in a little more. Then a little more. Go on, challenge yourself. This will expand your lung capacity dramatically. Hold that inhalation for 3 seconds After surgery, patients are forced to cough to expand the alveoli in the lungs which clears bacteria and prevents post surgical infection. So inhaling 3 times fully stretches and expands the alveoli, my medical brain likes this thought"



4. Exhale slowly out of your mouth, with a slight "Ahh" sound. Visualize every bit of your stress dissolving with that breath Ryan keeps looking at me funny as I am frequently saying "Ahh" as I'm breathing

Do you know how much fun Amazon's wish list option is? I have a million books, a dollhouse, cricut cartridges.... But my newest WISH???

The Garmin Forerunner 305. Everything I read about this makes it more amazing. I am obsessed with the numbers. What my heart rate zone should be (that's a whole other post) how far I've run, calories burned, carb intake, sodium, hours between eating. I'm obsessed! Well this little baby looks like it could be my new best friend...maybe I'll reward myself if I set and beat a goal. OOooo!!! I know! I shall buy this amazing baby once I have run/jogged an entire mile nonstop! There's some motivation!



Something HELPFUL.... You're not allowed to use your iPod during a triathlon (I almost cried when I read that) but one guy said he picked 3 songs that really keep him going and listened to them so much he memorized EVERY word to sing to himself. I already know I'm going to do this... first song... Wounded by Third Eye Blind FAVORITE band EVER!!!
K

2 comments:

  1. You're my hero, FYI. YOUR WRITING LIGHTS ME UP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love you! ok so if your wishlist has cricut cartridges you need to look into "make the cut" it is a program you upload and you can use your cricut and cut whatever you want...ok whatever will be read by the program but I have made a TON of things with it...seriously...if you want a site or something I think it's 50 for the program...so instead of paying that much for one cartridge you get a whole program...seriously awesome...I can't say seriously enough :)

    ReplyDelete